Happy Birthday Brian!
3 small prints from the Origins series by Ninjabot. The Origins series is showing the moment that each superhero was made... I chose these three... from left, Superman, Spiderman, The Green Lantern. It was fun to support a Kickstarter for Ninjabot and get something unique. When they came they were almost like postcards, so I framed them myself and now we have this cool piece of unique art hanging above the computer!
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHERRY CAKE
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups soy milk, rice milk or other vegan milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease pan, and/or line with baking paper.
- Whisk together the vegan milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the vegan milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into pans, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely
VEGAN BUTTERCREAM FROSTING INGREDIENTS (enough to frost in between layers and a bit on top (double if you want to frost the entire cake sides, etc.)
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer INSTRUCTIONS
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
- Thaw a 10oz bag of frozen cherries and mix with 2 Tablespoons sugar, cooking for a few minutes
- Separately, in a tiny bowl, mix 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons Pomegranate Juice
- Add this to the cooking cherry/sugar mixture and cook a few minutes, stiring constantly, until thickened. Allow to cool.
- Frost between the two layers of cake, then top the cake with the vegan buttercream frosting, the cherry mixture, then chocolate shavings!